Thursday, January 29, 2015

Interiors - Scottish painter Annie Rose Laing (née Low) 1869-1946



Annie Rose Laing (née Low) (Glasgow painter, 1869-1946) At the Breakfast Table

Each time I look at these paintings, I think of my grandmother. The light; the tall windows; the muted rug; the lace tablecloths & curtains; the piano & its red shawl; the intimate table talk - she is in all of it. I can smell the warm bread & the tea. I was an only child, & my grandmother was a remarkable woman. And, apparently, so was artist Annie Rose Low Laing, who somehow painted my childhood without ever knowing my grandmother or my mother or me & without ever being in my grandmother's house. Born in Glasgow, she painted figures, landscapes, & interiors. She exhibited mainly in Scotland, lived for a while in Italy, & finally settled in London. She exhibited at the Royal Scottish Academy, the Royal Academy, the Glasgow Institute, the Walker Gallery, and elsewhere during her lifetime.


Annie Rose Laing (née Low) (Glasgow painter, 1869-1946) The Breakfast Table



Annie Rose Laing (née Low) (Glasgow painter, 1869-1946) The Mirror



Annie Rose Laing (née Low) (Glasgow painter, 1869-1946) A Helesburgh Breakfast



Annie Rose Laing (née Low) (Glasgow painter, 1869-1946) After Rehearsal



 Annie Rose Laing (née Low) (Glasgow painter, 1869-1946) After Dinner



Annie Rose Laing (née Low) (Glasgow painter, 1869-1946) Sewing


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed this series of intimate portraits. thanks

    ReplyDelete